Tuesday, March 15, 2011

A New Anime to Fall In Love With

Despite having massive amounts of homework this week, I was able to finish watching K-On!.  It’s a fairly new anime that I stumbled across when strolling around the Cosplay.com forums.  At first I was unsure of it, but as time went on it grew on me.

K-On! is the story of four high school girls who revive the near disbanded Light Music Club at their school.  The first season of the anime follows the beginning of the girl’s high school career and friendship as they start a band named After School Tea Time, become acquainted with high school, and gain a new club and band member.  It’s a cute upbeat anime that is a great stress reliever amid cramming for tests and school assignments.

477697

At the beginning of the show there are four members in the Light Music (keion) Club.  Yui is the spacey, upbeat guitarist who is obsessed with sweets and snacks.  Mio is the quiet, shy bassist who is easily scared and acts as the mother of the group.  Tsumugi, or Mugi, is the kind, girly pianist who finds everything about normal life exciting.  Ritsu is the energetic, quick mouthed drummer who often teases Mio and is the self proclaimed president of the club.  There are quite a few secondary characters as well as a fifth member of the club introduced half way through the season.  Azusa aka Azunyan, the fifth member, joins the club as a secondary guitarist.  She is the youngest member of the club and has a no-nonsense attitude but loves to have fun.  Sawako is a major minor character so I’ll mention her as well.  She is the Light Music Club’s supervisor with a devious personality hidden under her sweet façade.  Ui and Nodoka are two other major minor characters.  Ui is Yui’s responsible younger sister who looks after Yui like an older sister.  She also loves to cook.  Nodoka is Yui’s childhood friend on the student counsel who helps the Light Music Club at times.  That’s all I’ll add for characters. 

vlcsnap-2011-03-15-05h08m50s19

Of the five main characters Yui (third from the left) is my favorite character followed by Mio (second from the right), Ritsu (middle), Azusa (second from the left), and Mugi (far right).  Sawako is on the far left.  I like all the characters, but I can identify with Yui the most which makes her my favorite.  She is such a funny character and a lot of her mistakes are mistakes I’ve experienced as well.  Like the time I left my instrument at home on my way to music lessons or the time I forgot my lines for the school play because I was too busy studying for a biology test and had to relearn my whole script.  We both can be very spacey as well and we have responsible younger sisters that help take care of us. 

Even though I can’t identify with Mio as much as Yui, she’s my second favorite character.  We are both shy, don’t like to waste time though we like to relax at times, get good grades in school, and don’t like scary stories (suspense is fine, scary is not).  I can identify with Sawako (far left) as well.  We are both obsessed with making cute costumes and dressing others up.  I’m not as extreme as Sawako when it comes to making others wear the costumes I make.  I’m also not as devious nor do I wear a sweet façade to hide a hardcore past.

On to my favorite part, the costumes.  I love the oufits in K-On! especially the girl’s uniforms and performance costumes.  The school uniforms are so cute and the performance costumes are adorable.  I’d love to make a lot of the outfits found in K-On! not just for myself, but for others as well.  I’m currently trying to get my sister to dress up as Ui or Azusa while trying to find a group to cosplay with.  I really want to cosplay Yui and Mio as well as Megumi.  You don’t meet Megumi till the second season, but she makes a brief appearance or two in the first season.  She’s the student counsel president. 

Yui is the character that I want to cosplay most so naturally I’ve picked a lot of her outfits that I want to make.  I really want to make her school uniforms (both summer and winter), as well as her first performance outfit, Fuwa Fuwa Time outfit, Don’t Say Lazy outfit, second performance yukata (original and warm version), and pink bathing suit (which I would only wear for swimming).  I also want to cosplay her in a few of the outfits Sawako made in episode 9 as well as the waitress outfit and maybe a few others from episode 12.  I’ll post pictures of the outfits next. 

Yui_Hirasawa

Winter Uniform

vlcsnap-2011-03-15-05h26m49s71Summer Uniform Variant 1 

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-04h08m46s92

Summer Uniform Variant 2

vlcsnap-2011-02-14-16h13m47s137

First Performance Outfit

vlcsnap-2011-03-15-07h30m50s251

“Fuwa Fuwa Time” Outfit

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-02h39m52s219 

“Don’t Say Lazy” Outfit

vlcsnap-2011-02-16-01h19m36s123

Second Performance Yukata Original Version

vlcsnap-2011-02-16-01h29m38s0

Second Performance Yukata Warm Version

(the only difference is the fluff on the sleeves and collar)

vlcsnap-2011-03-15-05h19m55s24

Pink Bathing Suit

I want to make quite a few of Mio’s outfits too.  So far I want to make her school uniforms (summer and winter), second performance yukata (original and warm version), New Year’s kimono, blue bathing suit (again only for swimming), maid outfit (I want to make this for Yui too) as well as some of the extra costumes Sawako made.  I had also thought of making her first performance outfit and Fuwa Fuwa Time outfit, but I’m not sure yet.  Time for pictures!

019 

Winter Uniform

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-04h08m46s92 Summer Uniform

vlcsnap-2011-02-16-01h33m09s58

Second Performance Yukata

Mio New Year's Kimono

New Year’s Kimono

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-09h01m46s27

Blue Bathing Suit

vlcsnap-2011-03-15-06h21m05s118

Maid Outfit

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-01h16m21s52

First Performance Outfit

vlcsnap-2011-03-15-07h34m10s194

“Fuwa Fuwa Time” Outfit

Here are the extra costumes.  They could be used for either Yui or Mio so I’m putting them in their own place.  They could also be used for the other members of the band.

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-01h03m00s234

vlcsnap-2011-02-15-04h12m06s35

 vlcsnap-2011-02-15-04h12m08s65

vlcsnap-2011-02-16-01h18m49s157  vlcsnap-2011-02-16-01h19m05s65 

vlcsnap-2011-02-16-01h19m11s118   vlcsnap-2011-03-15-04h45m23s36

There are a lot of other outfits that I like from the second season (K-On!!) that I like as well.  I’m not done watching the second season yet so I’ll wait to post those outfits and my review.  I want to keep all the second season outfits together and distinct from the first season for filing purposes.  It’s easier to find and reference that way. 

To conclude, K-On! is an awesome show.  It was really fun to watch and very heartwarming.  The lack of a plot was a bit annoying at first, but it grew on me quickly.  I hope you found this review and these pictures helpful.  I’ll post more detailed costume studies later.  Right now I have to get ready for school and finish studying for my test on Wednesday.  Thank you for reading.   It means so much to me.  Please comment if you like this or any of my posts or have anything to add or correct.  See you after Wednesday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment