I finally got my first glove done. It took me 15 hours, but I finally succeeded. ~_~ I never knew making a single glove could take so long. I scrapped my first construction idea just before I started making my glove last night. Instead of making my own pattern, I decided to modify a premade one I found. I chose to do so because I realized that tracing my arm myself was harder then anticipated. So I found my pattern and modified it.
I modified the pattern easy enough (2 hours) but it took me three tries to get the sizing right. My seam ripper was very active for the first five hours. I had to almost completely redo the entire hand. At first the fingers were to long so I cut them shorter. Then the fingers were to small and the thumb was too big. So I scrapped the pattern’s gussets and made my own. Once that was over, I found that three of the fingers were too big along with the easily annoying thumb. I was frustrated with the fingers by that time so I switched to the rest of the glove, mainly the ribbon detailing.
I now know that when making gloves ADD THE DETAILING FIRST!!!! For the sake of your sanity add it first. It is so not fun to fight with a half made glove hand, that you already mad at, while you wrap it around your knee just so you can get it to ly flat for a few seconds while you fiercely try to not pin your glove to your skin before the glove curls again. Luckily I only had to do that with the first part of the detailing. The second part was not nearly as hard or frustrating. My main problem was trying to get the detailing to look accurate. Compared to Vorfeed or any anime character for that matter, I have short arms so I had to squish the design without making it look squished. It turned out quite well. I even got the bunching to look right! I love the way the detailing came out. I might add a few more minor adjustments here and there.
I was very encouraged over my success with the detailing. So I sewed up the rest of the glove and tried it on. To do my delight and amazement, it fit! I was even able to get the glove on my hand without having to rip any seams out! I was so happy I seriously spent the next twenty minutes admiring it and wearing it around just for fun. Once I got the excitement out of my system, I finished the rest of the glove by adding the top puff and fixing the fingers. The puff was easy enough to make. I just made an oddly shaped rectangle, added elastic around the top, stuffed it full of tulle, and sewed it to the top of my gloves. It doesn’t look that puffy, but I’m happy with it. It looks like the character and goes with the rest of the outfit very well.
The fingers weren’t that hard to tailor. It was a bit hard to tailor the glove with one hand while wearing it on the other. I ended up just estimating the amount to take in and added darts on the inside. It worked surprisingly well. I can hardly tell that I added darts to the fingers. The thumb dart is easier to find though.
Despite all the trouble and time it took to make the glove, I am extremely pleased with it. It looks better then I’d hoped. I can even get it on with a minimal amount of effort too. Getting it off… well that’s another matter. Now that the first glove is I just have make the second glove mirror the first. As best I can that is.
Here’s a picture of my finished glove. I don’t have any progress pictures though. I’m going to get them on the second one. I might even make a tutorial.