Thursday, April 29, 2010

Predicament and Present Success

So I’ve been working on the Giselle commission for the past week.  I’ve nearly finished the bodice and the underskirt is basted together.  Even the overskirt is awaiting attachment.  Everything was going fine till I tried the skirt on the mannequin.  Turns out the skirt is a wee bit too small in the hips.  >_<  Unfortunately, it’s tight enough to look unsightly.  There’s maybe half and inch of seam allowance to play with.  My face literally hit the desk.  I was sooo disappointed I almost cried.  Instead I thought of ways to remedy this dilemma. 

 

I’ve come up with a plan.  I’ll call the client, explain the predicament, and set up a time for her to try on the garment.  Hopefully the skirt will fit right.  I’ll also double check the fit of the bodice at the same time.  If the skirt doesn’t fit, I’ll have to redo the hip seams.  Hopefully that won’t be too hard, and I’ll be able to correct my mistake.  I figure that if I take out at least a quarter to a half an inch on the side and back seams, the skirt should turn out fine.  I just have to make sure that I have enough room to make a double seam on the shear fabric. 

 

Other than the above happening, the dress is coming along beautifully.  Since it is turning out so well, I’ve decided, for the first time, to post progress pictures on my blog.  I really love how the dress is Disney® yet classy, cute yet sophisticated, elegant while charming.  It’s better than I hoped.  Mind you, I just pinned the dress to the mannequin as well as the embellishments.  I haven’t sewn the bodice to the skirt yet, though I hope to soon. 

 

IMG_1832 IMG_1835 IMG_1839

1 comment:

  1. Wow, it looks great! Hope the fitting goes okay! ^_^

    ReplyDelete