Belle’s green dress is nigh complete. I just have to hem the skirt, fix the sleeves so they stay on my shoulders, poof the upper part of the sleeve, and add a few minor details to the bodice and dress. I reeeeeeally like how the costume has turned out so far. For how much I modified the pattern I used, the dress looks wonderful. I do need to figure out how to keep the sleeves on my shoulders. I even have a cute hair bow that totally adds to and completes the costume.
For some reason, the sleeves like to slide half way down my shoulders and just sit there unwilling to move. This makes the dress look funny and my shoulders look uncharacteristically wide. I’ve tried a couple different techniques so far but they haven’t completely helped. Fortunately, I have a few more ideas up my sleeve. I will keep trying ideas ‘till I get these sleeves perfect. Even if I have to duck tape them to my arms for photos.
As for Giselle’s curtain dress, it is coming along beautifully. So far, it’s my best costume yet! I wound up modifying the sleeves from the pattern I am using; they turned out perfectly. I love how this costume is coming together, especially since it’s a first time commission. I love the chosen color combination. I especially adore how the little accents bring the costume to life. Literally!
The bodice and sleeves are almost done. I just have to add the top lace and maybe understitch the lining. I still haven’t decided if I’m going to or not. The skirt is almost done too! What I have left is to hem the rest of the skirt, over skirt, and lining; attach the skirt pieces; and attach the lining to the skirt. Then I sew the bodice to the skirt, add the embellishments (long blue ribbon and pink rosettes), and hand sew the zipper in. It’s late so I might be forgetting a step but that is roughly what I have left before completion.
I had no idea that the dress would take sooo long. It’s been three and a half days, and still it’s not done. Usually, it takes me between three and eight days to complete an outfit. That is, of course, not doing anything but sewing for twelve plus hours each day. The longest it’s taken me to complete a costume was a month. I was also working on homework every day and going to class full time. I’m so glad I’ve had this time to sew. It’s a pleasant break to the monotony of school.
Anyway, back on topic. I hope to have the dress complete next week. I’m aiming for Monday, but I don’t know with homework to catch up on. I was able to take a small break this week due to the flu season affecting my class schedule. The break came at the perfect time.
I just hope I can balance my class work as well my costuming now that school is starting up again. It’s hard. Still it is possible. This is something I hope to master soon, and very soon.