All the hype and excitement from meeting the lady I mentioned in my previous post spurred me to begin working on the pants for my state alchemist uniform on Tuesday. Since I already had the fabric and thread, I was able to immediately start tracing out the pattern. I used two commercial patterns for my pants, Butterick 4861 (for the actual pants, I used a lengthened version of view A) and McCalls 6083 (for the pockets since the previous pattern didn’t have the right pockets). The patterns were easy enough to trace on the fabric and the pants were easy to modify for length and new pockets. It took me almost 6-7 hours to trace all six pattern pieces and add necessary modifications to three of the pieces (front, back, and cuff). Time wise it wasn’t bad, but my back hurt afterward.
On Wednesday, I was able to cut out all the pieces and sew most of the pant pieces together. It was my first time inserting a frontal zipper with a flap like normal pants have. I was surprised that it wasn’t as hard as I thought it would be, especially when it came to sewing it in. I was able to use a sewing machine this time which was really nice. I usually have a very hard time machine sewing zippers into clothing, but I found out that if I use a regular foot instead of a zipper foot, the zipper will attach better and without much frustration. It’s a wonderful revelation for me since I’m tired of hand sewing in all my zippers because the zipper foot wouldn’t work.
I don’t have much left to do before the pants are finished. I just have to cut out the interfacing for the waistband and cuffs, and attach and sew the interfaced cuffs and waistband to the pants. The pattern I used for the pants calls for the waistband and cuffs to close with buttons, but I’m not sure if that’s the best choice for me since I’ll be tucking the ends of the pants into my boots and wearing the waistband under the butt-cape/waistcoat thingy’s waistband. I don’t know how comfortable buttons would be in this case so I’m thinking of using waistband hooks and eyes instead. I think I’ll go with the hook and eye method for the sake of comfort.
There is not much else to say about this cosplay at the moment. I’m still looking for acceptable boots to use. I was thinking of trying combat or real army boots, but I’m not sure yet. I’ll have to see if I can find some at a good price. If not then I’ll settle for boot covers over a pair of black boots I already own. There are a few more things for the main outfit that I have yet to get as well. I still don’t have the right bias tape to use (I have dark gray instead of silver gray), buttons for the butt-cape/waistcoat thing, a gold braid and small ring as well as the lapels (I’m getting them embroidered for me since it will cost less than if I embroider it myself) and pins since I can’t cast them out of pewter myself. Other than that I’m ready to go. ^_^