Tuesday, April 5, 2011

The Fan has Arrived

I got my fan today.  It looks so cool!  I’m very happy with it and can’t wait to transform it into Temari’s weapon.  It’s about 3 feet high and really wide.  I’m about 5’3”-5’4” and when open the fan spans from the floor to the mid to top of my head when I hold it sideways.  I love the design on it and almost wish I wasn’t using it as a prop since it’s so pretty. 

IMG_0095

So far my idea is to cover the fan with white fabric, I would glue the fabric to the painting, then add the purple moons via purple fabric and Heat ‘N Bond.  I don’t know how well it would work, but it sure beats trying to paint over the elaborate design on the fan.  My only concern is whether or not I’ll be able to close the fan with the added fabric.  I would use a white broadcloth type fabric and layer it at least twice to cover the design, hopefully completely.  here would end up being around three additional layers of fabric, including the three moons, if I used the fabric method. 

I really don’t want to paint the fan, and I don’t have the money to spend on paint right now.  So far it looks like my best bet will be to use fabric.  I have a bit of extra white fabric laying around and I might have some purple.  If not it shouldn’t be too hard to find and I should be able to afford it.  I still have over a month until the con, so I’ll think about my options more and talk to a few prop makers as well.  I’m hoping to get the fan done as soon as possible so I can get a preliminary shoot before the con, but I might have to go without the fan which is ok for a preliminary shoot. 

No comments:

Post a Comment