While thinking up how to make my Voyage of the Dawn Treader costume, I stumbled across an awesome idea. I’m always having to buy multiples of the same patterns because I modify just about any pattern I get to achieve a desired costume. This method of pattern modification is rather expensive and I can’t afford to keep going that route any more. So I came up with my own idea to the solve the problem. After I read a really helpful tutorial on how to conserve pattern pieces, an idea struck me. Cut out the pattern pieces to the desired size, follow the tutorial to back them, and use chalk to trace out the pieces onto the desired fabric. This way I can make any modification I want to a pattern piece without wasting a pattern! It’s so cool and brilliant! Right now I’m trying out my idea with my newest project, Susan’s Narnia from Voyage of the Dawn Treader. That brings me to my next subject.
I just started Susan’s dress today, tonight actually. I’m using the above method to make the pieces I need for the dress. So far it’s working wonderfully! Right now I have the first two pieces cut out and am working on the third. It takes me much longer to cut out the pieces because I have to lay out the original pattern piece and pin it down, trace the outline and markings to the fabric with chalk (I’m using paper chalk and it’s working just fine. It comes off with water too), unpin the pattern piece and place it to the side, then I finally cut the piece out of the fabric by cutting along the chalk lines. It’s so much fun! It’s like a giant connect the dots and cut out the paper doll project! I love it!
I should be done cutting out the pieces sometime tonight. I hope to pleat the front panel and sew the first part of dress by tonight/early tomorrow morning too. Well, I better get back to work if I’m to get all that done! Talk to you soon!