Sunday, June 13, 2010

Sophia Forrester Progress Report 1

As of a couple days ago, I now have all the fabric I need for my Sophia cosplay.  I still have to get a few more things like zippers, a bit of thread, and a few other minor items.  Still haven't found her reading glasses yet.  I’m starting to wonder if they even exist outside of the anime.  The fate of her hair clip is hanging in the balance right now.  I’m not sure whether or not to have the hair down like in this picture:

as_39She wore her hair like this in the anime when she told Alex about her going back to the palace.  Her hair was also down when she talked to Claus about her plans.  I can’t give away too much of the plot.  -_^

Anyway, I could also have the hair pulled back into a twisted braidy-like bunish thing.  Like this:

          display_600_as_28 sophia

This is her most common hair style.  She wore it throughout most of the series. 

I do like how sharp and vice admiral like the second hair style is.  I just have one problem, the hair clip.  How on earth am I going to make, much less find, the darn thing?!  The back one is what I’m most worried about but the two side/front ones pose an equal, if not greater, challenge.  If I do the second hair style, I might not have to buy a wig for this cosplay, but that’s only if my hair grows out in time, which I doesn’t seem like it will.  So either way I’m probably going to have to buy a wig.  Now I just need to find a good, decent, honest wig seller who has high quality wigs at a good price. 

Switching topics, while I was at the store studying this picture:

Sophia_fullbody I discovered that the designs/appliqué on Sophia’s uniform are silver not white.  If you look really closely at her collar, you’ll see that the appliqué gives off a silver hue instead of a white one.  It even looks this way when the picture is printed off.  This was a major break through for me.  I also discovered that her collar is lined with silver fabric.  See below picture:

Sophia3 Both of these discoveries majorly helped explain why the fabric behaved the way it did.  Since the appliqué is silver, it can appear both whitish and silver when exposed to different lighting.  This also explains why the appliqué has a bit of a sheen to it as well.  These pictures help to illustrate my point.

            Sheen 1 Silver 2

Changing topics, I have had the hardest time finding the right fabric shade for the uniform.  The closest I’ve found is a silvery gray color by Kona Cotton.  Since it’s not perfect I might try lining the dress with a darker color fabric to get the desired effect.  I don’t know how well this will work so we’ll see. 

Other that that, I’ve had a relatively easy time fining what I need.  I even found some awesome looking pleather for her boots in the clearance section.  I don’t what I’m going to do for the redish orange soles yet.  I’m still researching that. 

Sorry my post is long and kinda random and jumpy.  There’s been a lot of things happening with this costume that I don’t know where to start or how to transition to my next thought.  My thoughts like to jump around.  I hope you enjoyed reading my post and look forward to the next ones.  My next post should be about Sheeta’s pirate uniform unless another idea pops up.  Thank you for reading and please tune in again to find out what happens next in the exciting adventures of my endeavors as a seamstress.

 

dilemmas

No comments:

Post a Comment